Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Absence, Aeroplanes and Alternative Careers

The children seem to have taken M being away for a week in their stride. It's not that different from a normal week I guess. Last time M was away for a week, just after his return, at bed-time I asked our 3 yr old if she would like to pray for Daddy in her prayers that night. She stopped, looked at me quizzically and said "Is Daddy coming to my house tonight?"

So far with this trip she has said everyday since Sunday "daddy's on the plane isn't he?" I reply "No he's in Albania" It was a long trip and 3 flights but it didn't take 3 days. By supper this evening she seemed to have it sorted "Daddy's not here, he's gone on a plane" she said triumphantly. That's right I encourage.
"He's in India" She adds. I guess it is confusing for a three year old. Her father spends a week away in Europe, we all fly to India on holiday on Saturday (only 3 hrs away) . He meets us in Delhi. Such is the life of an ex-pat child. She talks about going to Diggerland 'on Sunday' (in Devon), seeing her grandparents next week, (random adverbial time phrases), in the same breath as going to India. A plane is no more than a bus to a 3 yr old.

Our son is remaining rather more local. He is off on a field trip tomorrow to a Buddhist temple and a Dairy factory, (interesting combo I mused) They are doing a unit of work called "Here, There and Everywhere". Maybe they figure these two locations just about cover it. Milk and meditation.

At supper he said "Maybe dad could work in a dairy factory then he could come home at 5 o' clock, or better still 4.30p.m and we would get to see him and play."

I explained there weren't many jobs that would allow him to finish this early. Then he said what about being a teacher? (being a teacher myself, I resisted the urge to whip out my soap box and clamber on, at the erroneous connection he was making)
But he continued "Then I could go to the same school as him and see him during the day. I love seeing my family at school." (I teach at his school doing supply sometimes)

Poor boy, I hope he is not so deprived of his father's company that he is still saying this as a teenager. Well it would be nice, just a bit unusual........

I echo the sentiment, I would quite like to have my husband back too.

5 comments:

Iota said...

On the plane 'ere
Albania
An easy mistake. No wonder your daughter was confused.

Anonymous said...

a wonderful blog. Funny, honest and moving. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Shame on you!

You should be greatful that you have got the oppurtunity to travel, see more of the world and learn about other cultures.

Paradise Lost In Translation said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paradise Lost In Translation said...

Sorry it wasn't at all supposed to sound fed up. I am very grateful for all our opportunities. I was merely observing the way 3 yr olds perceive international travel as being as normal as a bus ride. The comments about my husband being away, for work, are because he works incredibly hard (14 hr days) and the children see so little of him. Of course we love the cultural diversity and wdn't even be here doing what we are doing if we weren't passionate about the world we live in, and wanting to do our bit to help those in less fortunate areas. It also goes without saying that living in, and adapting to, another culture can be very tiring and stressful, as well as isolating. Espec with no support network and a husband who's away a lot!

November 6, 2007 6:05 PM